Please forgive our current web site issues, we will be back up and running at full-strength soon!
Scholarship Program Information - 2014 (Now accepting applications)
The 2014 Flight Scholarship application process is now open for submission. The deadline for all submissions is 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on April 26th, 2014.
Submit an application packet to email@example.com on or before April 26, 2014.
- $1,500 towards aircraft rental for flight training purposes and instructor fees (when applicable to the training) at Starks Twin Oaks (the home base airport of EAA 105) or another approved flight school of the recipient's choice. The flight school will invoice EAA 105 for actual aircraft rental and/or instructor fees.
- A short personal autobiography, describing the applicant and his/her background.
- The applicant's contact information (name, address, phone, email, etc.) and birthdate.
- A one or two page narrative essay, describing the applicant's interest, desire, commitment and future plans in aviation. This essay will be a primary tool in selecting candidates for the interview phase - so be sure to convince us here.
- Three letters of recommedation from adults who know the applicant. At least two of these letters must be from non-family-members.
- If the applicant is under 18, a signed letter from the applicant's parent(s) or legal guardian indicating they are granting permission for the applicant to apply for the scholarship and participate in flight training in the event they are awarded a scholarship.
The schedule for the 2014 selection process is as follows:
- March 1 – April 26: Applications accepted
- April 27 – May 15: Interview participant selection process
- On or before May 15: Invitations to interview sent (communication via email)
- Saturday TBD in May: In-person interviews for selected applicants at Twin Oaks Airpark, Hillsboro Oregon
- Award deadline: June 1
Application period (March 1 – April 26)
Open period for all applications. Applications received via email after 11:59pm Pacific time April 26 will not be included in the process. Confirmation of receipt will be provided to each applicant via email reply when received.
Interview selection period (April 27- May 15) and participant notification
From the total pool of applications, the scholarship selection panel will select the applicants to invite to the interview day. This selection is made through a review of the application materials submitted by each applicant. Applicants will receive an email notice with a status of their application upon completion of the interview-phase selection process.
Interview day (May TBD)
Selected applicants will each be assigned a time for his or her individual, in-person interview. All interviews will be held on a day TBD in May and will run throughout the day, beginning at 10:00am at Twin Oaks Airpark in Hillsboro, Oregon. Interviews will consist of a panel style meeting. Applicants will meet with the panel of five to six members of the selection committee. The panel and the applicant will discuss the application materials and applicants will be asked to answer questions posed by the panel members.
Scholarship award notifications
Upon completion of all of the interviews and prior to June 1, the panel will meet to discuss the applicants and to select the scholarship award recipients. Notification of each interview participant's final status will be made to all of the interviewees upon completion of the selection process. These notifications will occur no later than June 1, 2014.
- Applicant must be between the ages of 16 through 21. The applicant may be 15 when applying, but must turn 16 in the current calendar year.
- The scholarship is non-transferrable.
- The scholarship funds may be used for training conducted before December 31, 2014. Any funds balance remaining after that date will no longer be available for use.
- The scholarship may be utilized toward any level of flight training (introductory students through advanced ratings or certificates).
- Children and/or grandchildren of chapter directors, Bogardus trustees, and scholarship selection panel members are not eligible.
For additional information on the scholarship program, please contact the 2014 Flight Scholarship coordinator, Greg Hughes, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. He can help answer questions about the process that are not answered here on this site.
Flight Training Opportunities and Choices
The flight scholarship may be used at a number of aviation training facilities. The choice of where to learn and fly is made by the scholarship recipient.
Other Aviation Scholarships
Past EAA 105 Bogardus Trust Scholarship Recipients
2010 Award Recipients
- Boaz Allyn-Fueer
- Connell Hawkins
- Aric Krause
- Colin LeMans
2011 Award Recipients
- Kyle Boaz
- Kevin Cameron
- Clayton Davis
- Connell Hawkins
- Micah Poling
- E.J. Stinson
2012 Award Recipients
- Justin Inman
- Natalie Smith
- Athena Smith
- E.J. Stinson
2013 Award Recipients
- Justin Inman
- Evan Unruh
- David Carbonari
- Zeph Hollins
- Paige Quintana